Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Start Spreading The News


written by STEVE ULRICH
your must-read briefing on what's driving the day in NCAA Division III
Donate to D3Playbook

Won't you please consider making a gift to D3Playbook. Your gift will help us offset the costs of operating the newsletter and enable us to continue to provide the quality you have come to expect. My heartfelt thanks to those who have already generously contributed. Please join them today.
>> Good morning ... it's Wednesday and the Fall Equinox. Goodbye summer!

>> Today's Word Count: 1,317. 

>> Thanks for reading D3Playbook. Share us with a friend today. Let them know what they're missing.

>> Conference Scheduling: Would you like assistance with conference scheduling? After 2020-21, I'd bet the answer is YES. Give us a chance to show what we can provide for you. After all, it's 26 years of experience working for YOU.
Send D3Playbook to my inbox, please.

1. Start Spreading the News

cortaca 2022 announcement

"Just when you thought it couldn't get any bigger, the football rivalry between Ithaca College and SUNY Cortland is doing just that, with (the) announcement that the two institutions have accepted an invitation from the New York Yankees organization to play the 2022 Cortaca Jug at storied Yankee Stadium. The game will be held on Saturday, Nov. 12, with a 1 p.m. kickoff time.

The Ithaca Bombers and Cortland Red Dragons played the 2019 game across the Hudson River at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey as a Division III-record crowd of 45,161 fans watched IC win 32-20. Once referred to by Sports Illustrated as "the biggest little game in the nation," the Cortaca Jug was not contested in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. This fall's matchup will take place on Nov. 13 at SUNY Cortland.

Ithaca and Cortland will each be issued tickets in the fall of 2022 for sale to their students, faculty, and staff at a price of $24.50. Tickets will go on sale for the general public this fall, on Tuesday, November 16, 2021, with most seats priced from $24.50 to $69.50. Those tickets will be sold by online at and All tickets will be delivered digitally, and mobile presentation will be the sole method of entry."

>> Quotable: "This is a fantastic opportunity for the Ithaca College community to experience our rivalry game in one of the world's most iconic venues for sports, and we are thrilled that Yankee Stadium has extended an invitation for the 2022 Cortaca Jug matchup to take place there," said Susan Bassett '79, associate vice president and director of intercollegiate athletics and recreational sports at Ithaca College."

>> Quotable II: We are excited about this opportunity to once again showcase this great game in such an iconic venue," said Cortland's Director of Athletics Mike Urtz '94, M '00. "What Cortland and Ithaca have is so unique at our level."

>> Dueling Releases - Ithaca | Cortland


2. Admissions in a Wild Year

by Scott Jaschik, Inside Higher Ed

"The 2020-21 year was a shock to the entire system of higher education. Admissions was hurt throughout, beginning as students were sent home and banned from campuses (before the 2020-21 year had even started), making it impossible for many students to see the campuses at which they would enroll. In the fall of 2020, many campuses remained closed to in-person instruction (and campus visits by prospective students). Even as some campuses started to reopen in the spring of 2021 and vaccines started to become available, many campuses were operating on anything but a normal schedule.

With all of these challenges, how did admissions fare? And how did that the challenges of the last year reshape the landscape for admissions? In our survey of 206 admissions officials, Inside Higher Ed found:

  • Admissions officers were very worried about filling their classes this year and most did not fill their classes by the traditional May 1 date for the following fall’s class. Add in the months of May and June, and most admissions offices were still searching for students.
  • About one-third of admissions officers said that the pandemic did not change whom they admitted. Thirty-seven percent said it changed whom they admitted, but in a minor way.
  • More than 80 percent of officers say they are very likely to increase recruitment for minority and transfer students, while approximately three-quarters (78 percent) say the same for full-time undergraduates and first-generation college students. 

>> Worth Noting: "As in years past, we asked if colleges met their enrollment goals for new students by May 1, the traditional date to respond to an offer of admission. Only 32 percent of colleges reported doing so. We then asked the remaining 68 percent if they had met their goals by June 1, and found that 16 percent did. We then asked that group (the remaining 84 percent) if they had met their goals by July 1, and only 8 percent answered in the affirmative."

>> Yes, But: "Despite all the changes, most colleges (74 percent) said they didn’t admit students this year whom the college probably wouldn’t have admitted in prior years. And over all, private colleges are expecting more students this fall than last."

>> Continue Reading
    Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 7.14.12 PM.png
    click image for more information

    Operation GoodSport is an interactive and dynamic presentation on sportsmanship in America, conducted by recently-retired 30-year Division III Commissioner Tim Gleason. Designed for coaches and student-athletes alike, Operation GoodSport will give you a better understanding of how good sportsmanship not only builds character and teamwork, but impacts the educational process as well.

    For more information on Operation GoodSport, or to schedule a presentation, contact Tim Gleason via email or at 330-719-8700.

    3.   Lions Rise, Jumbos Remain

    Sophie Vieira
    Sophie Vieira, TCNJ / photo by Jimmy Alagna

    The TCNJ women rose to the top of the latest United Soccer Coaches poll, while the Tufts men remained in the No. 1 spot.


    1. TCNJ, 6-0
    2. Johns Hopkins, 4-0-1
    3. Washington, Mo., 6-0-1
    4. Christopher Newport, 5-1
    5. Messiah, 3-1-1
    6. MIT, 6-0-1
    7. William Smith (tie), 4-1-1
    8. Trinity, Texas (tie), 5-0
    9. Chicago, 6-0
    10. Case Western Reserve, 6-0

    >> Welcome: McDaniel, Emory

    >> Conference Call: UAA (5), NESCAC (4), Centennial (3), A-R-C (2), Liberty (2), C2C (1), MAC Commonwealth (1), MAC Freedom (1), NEWMAC (1), NJAC (1), NWC (1), SAA (1), SCAC (1), SCIAC (1),

    >> Matches We're Watching
    • No. 7 William Smith (4-1-1) at RIT (4-1), 4:00 (Wed.)
    • No. 16 McDaniel (6-0) at Gettysburg (4-0), 7:00 (Wed.)
    • UW-Platteville (5-0-2) at No. 17 Loras (7-0-1), 8:00 (Thurs.)
    >> Complete Poll

    Seniors Cano and Aroh Lift Men's Soccer Over Wesleyan 2-1
    Mati Cano, Tufts

    1. Tufts, 4-0
    2. Washington and Lee, 5-0-1
    3. St. Mary's, Md., 8-0
    4. Messiah, 4-0-1
    5. Trinity, Texas, 6-0
    6. Rochester, 4-0-1
    7. Calvin, 6-1-2
    8. Ohio Wesleyan, 5-0-1
    9. Chicago, 5-0-1
    10. NYU, 5-0-1

    >> Newcomers: Middlebury, Coast Guard, Muhlenberg, Otterbein, Claremont-M-S, Emory

    >> Conference Call: UAA (4), Centennial (3), NESCAC (2), NEWMAC (2), SCIAC (2), SUNYAC (2), C2C (1), CCIW (1), MAC Commonwealth (1), MIAA (1), NCAC (1), NJAC (1), OAC (1), ODAC (1), SCAC (1), United East (1)

    >> What We're Watching
    • No. 3 St. Mary's (8-0) at No. 22 Johns Hopkins (3-0-2), 4:00 (Wed.)
    • No. 8 Ohio Wesleyan (5-0-1) at No. 19 Otterbein (5-0), 5:00 (Wed.)
    • No. 4 Messiah (4-0-1) at No. 10 NYU (5-0-1), 4:00 (Sat.)

      4.   Panthers Remain No. 1

      Katie George
      Katie George, Middlebury / photo by Will Costello

      The top three teams remained in place in this week's National Field Hockey Coaches Association poll with Amherst making a big leap into the top 10.

      1. Middlebury, 5-0
      2. Johns Hopkins, 6-0
      3. Tufts, 3-0
      4. Kean, 6-0
      5. Messiah, 5-1
      6. TCNJ, 4-1
      7. Williams, 5-1
      8. Franklin & Marshall, 4-2
      9. Amherst, 4-0
      10. Rowan, 2-2

      >> Hello: Cortland

      >> Conference Call: NESCAC (6), Centennial (3), NJAC (3), C2C (1), Landmark (1), Liberty (1), MAC Commonwealth (1), NEWMAC (1), ODAC (1), SAA (1), SUNYAC (1)

      >> Matches to Watch
      • York (6-0) at No. 17 Susquehanna (5-0), Wed.
      • No. 8 Franklin & Marshall (4-2) at No. 15 Ursinus (5-2), Sat.
      • No. 13 Trinity (3-0) at No. 7 Williams (5-1), Sat.
      >> Complete Poll

      5.  Comings and Goings
      1 THING

      6. Holiday Shortfall

      Illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios

      "It'll be hard to find everything for the holidays this year — even staples like coffee and footwear — because of supply chain woes likely to persist at least through spring, Jennifer Kingson writes for Axios What's Next.

      • Why it matters: Scarce inventory means more scuffles among shoppers in brick-and-mortar stores, fewer deals for Black Friday — and online price wars that could threaten some retailers' livelihoods.

      What's happening: Stores of all sizes and specialties are already trying to hoard things in warehouses — from turkeys, stuffing and cranberry sauce to Halloween decorations, video game consoles and those chic fleecy sweaters that everyone seems to want.

      State of play: MGA Entertainment and Basic Fun — the distributors behind LOL Surprise! dolls, Little Tikes, Bratz, Tonka and Fisher-Price — say those toys will be scarcer and more expensive, CNN reports.

      Open Mailbox with Raised Flag on Apple iOS 14.2  Thanks for starting your day with us.

      What did you think of today's newsletter?

       Please invite your friends to sign up for D3Playbook
      Sign Up for Free: D3Playbook
      Copyright © 2021, All rights reserved.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment